[REVIEW][DRAMA] Empress Ki, 기황후

Assalamualaikum and Hello. This is my 1st post for 2016 in this blog. I've been wanted to always keep updated on this blog but as always procrastination make me failed to do it. Something that I really should be fixed this year. I really wish and hope my action will speak louder for this matter. Okay, back to the title of this post, I'm going to do a review a very recent finished kdrama I've watched, Empress Ki or 기황후.


 The main poster for this drama



Scene from the epilogue in episode 1

Let's start with what's this drama all about:
Empress Ki (Hangul: 기황후; RR: Gi Hwang-hu) is a South Korean historical television series starring Ha Ji-won as the titular Qi Empress, who was born in Goryeo but later married Emperor Ta Hwan to become an empress of the Yuan Dynasty.  The series depicts her loves and political ambitions as she is torn between two countries:  the one of her birth, and the one of her love. cr: Empress Ki Soompi Official Thread
This drama is a 51 episodes sageuk drama.


Ha Jiwon (one of my fave actress unnie in kdramaland ^_^ ), played as Ki Seung Nyang. Seung Nyang was born in Goryo. Her mother died in front of her eyes, trying to save her when they were running away from the Imperial Soldier that going to bring them as a tribute from Goryo to Yuan. After her mom died, she has to live as a boy to avoid from being sent to Yuan. Her encounter with Wang Yoo and Ta Hwan will change everything in her life.
Wang Yoo, played by Joo Jin Mo is Goryo King. His first encounter with Seung Nyang was when he was the Crown Prince of Goryo. He saves her from her master, Wang Go which is his own uncle. Afterwards, Seung Nyang serves for him. They developed love interest with each other.


Ta Hwan, played by Ji Chang Wook is Yuan Emperor. He was first being exiled to Goryo because of political struggle in Yuan Dynasty caused by Yeon Chul (El Temur), that doesn't want him to be the emperor. In Goryo he met with Seung Nyang as he's being put under Goryo protection. He developed a love interest with Seung Nyang that seems to be his protector and always being by his side which eventually will lead to Seung Nyang being his Empress.

This drama is played by various talented actors and actresses. Their acting just top-notch that everything seems to be really fun. For the past 51 episodes of this drama, it's all worth it. This drama has been in my list to watch since forever and only now I started to watch it. After finishing with Smile You, a 45 episodes family drama, I decided to take this. I seems to enjoy lengthen episodes of drama these days.

Back to Empress Ki. Another character that left deep impression to me is Danashiri, played by Baek Jinhee. I never watched her drama before but she as Danashiri is very convincing as an actress. Her evil smirk is the meme XD


 She gained a nickname as Tanasmirky too 
Her evil deeds make me want to grab her in real life and the fact that she never really like admitting her wrongdoings is making me felt really absurd. Well then again, she's from Yeonchul or El Temur clan which is in her blood for being mean and evil.

 Her father is Yeonchul or El Temur the evil regent that control every decision on made by the government and he made a lot of wealth through it. Corruption at best, master of treason, spreading evilness through his children as well. 

Tang Qise or Tangqishi, the first son of Yeon chul. Just look at the blood on her face. Evil dude who actually fall for Nyang's beauty and he has been rejected countless time by her because of his evilness that even killed her mother (duh!) of course he got rejected countless time.



Talahai, the second song of Yeon chul. Evil dude but only a follower of his brother but still evil. 


This dude here is one sneaky Yom the Scum. Born in Goryo. Worked with Commander Ki Ja Oh (Seung Nyang's father) but eventually always be in the evil side and selling his soul to the Yuan people. His reasoning is he gotta do whatever to survive and his way of surviving is to be with the one that have power. 

Love story we got 2 couple with Wang Yoo-Nyang and Nyang-Ta Hwan. 


Seung Nyang and Ta Hwan or TaNyang couple


Seung Nyang and Wang Yoo or WangNyang couple
Personally, at first or first half of the drama when Yeon Chul was in rampant with his power, I was really rooting for TaNyang couple. I'm all TaNyang that I even skipped quite a bit of WangNyang couple. TaNyang has more sweet scenes and their couple has this great chemistry that I cant helped but rooting for them. Nyang was so cute with Ta Hwan and so does Ta Hwan. They're just so cute with each other. 

Scenes when she was drunk drinking with the Emperor when she was just the Palace Maid XD (so eff cute *_*)






However, things are changing in the second half of the drama. Despite Nyang has been showed how loyal and always being by Ta Hwan side, how she even giving birth to his son, the fact that Ta Hwan was still living in the shadow of Wang Yoo, of wanting to become like Wang Yoo, make me sad and disappointed with his character. He become obsessive, possessive with Nyang. Because of jealousy, he makes decision with his clouded emotion, insecurity, inferiority, make me really disappointed with him. He already got the girl, but it's sad that he succumb to his negativeness and eventually lead to his poor bad decisions. That's how I felt on Ta Hwan character progressing. Sure, with the help of Nyang, he become from the illiterate emperor to literate and increase his confidence to fight Yeonchul but it's sad that after that, the downward of his character personality make me so disappointed. I understand in the part that he has been living like that since young, being alone. Not be able to protect himself, being powerless, not be able to protect the person that he loves, I understand that character. My problem with his character is he didnt talk with her. Talk as in discuss about his feelings with Nyang which make him hold everything in by himself, alone again. That's really make me frustrated with his character. 

Wang Yoo and Nyang, my feels come for this couple after Maha or Star, their son has grown older. The son that Seung Nyang thought has died, the son that Wang Yoo never knew. 



WangNyang love I depict as one ill-fated love. First love that lost to their fate. Despite having child with each other, they can't live as a family. At one part, I was wondering what would have happened if Nyang followed Wang Yoo back to Goryo together. Maybe Wang Yoo, Nyang and Star will live as a family. That "If" and "Maybe". Then again, if that happen, they probably won't have any Empress Ki at all. It's indeed one ill-fated love. 악연. Listening to Xia Junsu, Loving You or 사랑합니다 really can make me cry when I remember on WangNyang couple. Their ill-fated love, their son fate. It just so freaking sad. 




Wang Yoo when he found out that Seung Nyang has died

Seung Nyang and Wang Yoo only interaction with young Star despite not knowing that he's their son (damn, sad man! T_T)
and when they figure out that he's their son, he's at the verge of dying T_T 
And the most sad thing is, the kid dies with never found out who is his real parents are when he already met them. It's so freaking sad. 

The break up scene when they need to get over with each other when their heart clearly still have each other

Seung-nyang: I’m sorry. I’m sorry.
Wang Yoo: There’s no need for you to apologize. I’ve already abandoned you. Your Highness must have been thinking that I resent you, but there’s no person (like that) whom I hate. Don’t feel sorry or shed any tears. Please continue on your path with dignity, I’ll do the same. I’ll never turn back, get hurt, or regret it, and I’ll go on with my own path.
Seung-nyang: Please forget me and be happy. This is my bad self’s wish to make me at ease. This is my shameless last wish. Please forgive me, Your Majesty. Your Majesty…


 




Even after becoming the empress, she still cried just by when she saw him. This tragic love of Nyang and Wang Yoo. T_T
It's not ended here only, episode 50 put the nail in my heart for this couple. So freaking sad man.. so freaking sad... I was sobbing and now while writing this down, I still feels like crying. When Wang Yoo died in the hand of Ta Hwan, I'm really resent Ta Hwan so much that even though he died in episode 51, I didnt cried for him. the feels is totally different. I just feels like is it necessary that he even have to kill Wang Yoo? Their child already dead. There's not many people that know about the secret too. So freaking sad and so freaking unfair. Another reason why I dont feel sad for Ta Hwan was because, even though later he died, he has spent his life living together with Nyang and Ayu, although he was sick. He has that opportunity but not Wang Yoo and not Byul/Maha.






Even her last goodbye to Wang Yoo and Byul was even in a freaking dream! T_______T When I saw Maha, if he's alive, he must have become a great person. With the traits of his parents in him, the brain, the braveness, he'll be a great person but it's just another "If". T_T











 This is the scene that make me cried my eyes so much. Wang Yoo is indeed man of his words, "Dead or alive, I'll always protect her". Even till his last breath, it was her name that he called out.









This is another sad scene from episode 50. The feelings... T_T



I maybe biased but all the deeds just make me so into this tragic love between Ki Nyang and Wang Yoo more. It's so sad that I can't ignore the feelings. surely, in many many years ahead, finally Nyang confessed her love to Emperor Ta Hwan, but her feelings for Wang Yoo is definitely one genuine and mutual love that they had.

Compilation of Ki Nyang sassiness from her Musuri-days, Concubine-days (hae jin/해진) to her Chief-of-consort days (kwi bi/귀비)





You don't simply messing around with her. She has been living a thug life all this while 











She's the only one that brave to stand up with the El Temur clan, be it Tanashiri or Tangqishi



Oh Empress Bayan, felt poor for your antics. Nyang is someone that swept the whole El Temur clan and you trying to mess with her and her son. Wrong move 황후 마마

Ki Seung Nyang is someone that sweep away those undeserved 2 empress before her. She won not just with her beauty with the Emperor but with her intelligent brain, strategy, braveness, and her wit. 

Nyang's victory walk full of sassy
Another fave pair from this drama that I like seeing is Nyang and Tal Tal. Their brain and communication just click with each other. 



And not to forget when Tal Tal has to killed Baek Ahn, his uncle. Just how his uncle asked him to kill him if ever he succumb to power. He just did what is good for the country and what has been asked by Baek Ahn himself. 

 

Wow! This is one long post I've ever done in this blog. hahahaha XD hmm.... what's next to write... 
Okay, Empress Ki is a sageuk so it's natural that I want to find more about the history side of this drama. 

Empress Ki in history is indeed an empress born from Goryo and came into Yuan Palace by being the palace maid and made herself into becoming Toghon Temur's empress and eventually became Empress Dowager when Ayushiridara, his son became the emperor for Northen Yuan dynasty. During Toghon Temur's reign, Yuan Dynasty actually has fallen and being substitute by Ming Dynasty.
Wang Yu character was a total fictional. Although he was to be describe as King Chunghye of Goryo but King Chunghye was a tyrant, an evil king that raping and abducting people. 

wikipedia: 

I found a great tumblr blog that explained on this matter. the real fact and the fiction in this drama. 



Despite being fictional drama, some of the events in this drama is still real. So I'm so interested in it. I love history so this drama of portrayal things during this era is so awesome and I really love it. Though I love the fiction side of it, the fact is what I'm searching for as well. 

OSTs of this drama is superb. It has been awhile I felt about watching a sageuk like this. the last time was Moon that Embracing the Sun. Even the background musical soundtrack also was so superb, endearing, true to the emotion of the drama, true to the era of that time. I love it. It's like I can always listen to it. while I'm still in Empress Ki mood, this soundtrack will be kept playing hahaha 




Okay that's all I think. Felt like this is one of the longest review post I've ever write hahaha XD 

Popular posts from this blog

Exam dah hbs...

[REVIEW][DRAMA] Ugly Alert